Screenplay

 (Note - some of the screenplay formatting is off due to the restrictions of blogger, font size should be 12pt.)

FADE IN: 

EXT. COLLEGE - DAY

We follow two pairs of feet among a massive crowd. A schoolbell rings as we realise college has just ended and all the students are exiting the building to begin their journeys home. 

OLIVIA is a tall, introverted seventeen year old. The bags under her eyes reveal the late nights she has spent upworrying about a multitude of different things that would seem irrelevant to most people. She doesn't hide her social anxiety very well. She walks awkwardly trying not to bring too much attention to herself. Her clothes are nice but nothing too flashy allowing her to successfully camouflage in with the crowd. 

CHARLOTTE is the same age and phsyical stature as OLIVIA and yet she is Olivia's polar opposite, oozing confidence as she walks, her smile broadcasts her friendly demeanour to everyone she passes. She does stand out from the crowd and gets noticed by plenty of people. 

CHARLOTTE 
              So are you coming to Ben's 
              party next weekend?

 OLIVIA 
              I don't know, I will have to 
              check with my parents if it's 
              ok with them, they are quite 
              strict. 

CHARLOTTE
              Come on, we both know that isn't  
              the reason you won't come.

 OLIVIA
              I... I wish I could find parties 
              as enjoyable as you do but they 
              are just so intimidating, especially  
              when you don't know anyone. 

CHARLOTTE 
              Well, you don't have to worry 
              about it now, just see how you 
              feel next week. 

 CUT TO:

2.
INT. DINING ROOM - NIGHT 

OLIVIA sits on the opposite side of a long dinner table to her MOTHER and FATHER. A tense atmosphere hangs in the room as if confrontation is just under the surface, ready to erupt.

OLIVIA'S MOTHER is still wearing her work clothes, she has good posture but appears exhausted from her gruelling day at work and the long journey home. 

Her FATHER too seems tired, he is very clearly enjoying the meal but tries to make conversation to lighten the mood at the table. 

FATHER 
             So how was your day Olivia? 

OLIVIA
             Yeah it was fine, I just... 

FATHER 
             What?

OLIVIA
             Nothing. It was nothing important. 

FATHER 
             She has been in a bad mood all 
             evening. 
                (to MOTHER)

MOTHER 
             Yeah, I know. 

OLIVIA 
             I am not in a bad mood.

FATHER 
             You are. 

OLIVIA 
             If you guys didn't treat me like 
             a child all the time then maybe I 
             would be in a better mood. 

MOTHER 
             Well maybe if you want to be 
             treated like an adult you could 
             start acting like one. 

OLIVIA 
             And how am I supposed to do that?
(sarcastically) 


3.

MOTHER 
             Get a job. 

OLIVIA
             Ok I will. 

FATHER 
             She won't. 

OLIVIA stands up and departs from the dinner table in frustration. Her MOTHER and FATHER turn to look at eachother with surprise. 

CUT TO: 

INT. CLASSROOM - DAY 

The classroom is newly renovated and full of tables with students seated at them anticipating the start of the lesson that is about to begin. 

OLIVIA sits, switching between staring at the clock, fiddling with her pen and looking around to see if there are any friends in the room. 

CHARLOTTE enters the classroom, she spots OLIVIA and smiles at her before walking over to take a seat next to her at the table. 

CHARLOTTE 
             Are you all right? 

OLIVIA 
             Yeah fine, just the usual stuff, 
             parents and that. 

CHARLOTTE
             Oh that sucks, I am sorry.

OLIVIA 
             They pick me up on everything,
             it drives me crazy. 

CHARLOTTE 
             Yeah my parents are similiar. 
             It's just because they are going 
             through stuff too.

A beat. 

4. 

CHARLOTTE (CONT'D) 
             The best thing to do I find is to 
             just to try and prove my own 
             responsibility and then they will 
             give you more freedom.

OLIVIA looks at CHARLOTTE as if she has just had a eureka moment.

CUT TO:

INT. LIVING ROOM - DAY 

The living room is cramped but homely, the walls are lined with childhood pictures of OLIVIA that she hates visitors seeing. 

OLIVIA slowly enters the room and looks around it before going straight for her FATHER'S newspaper lying on the empty sofa. She picks it up and flicks to the back pages skimming through the limited selection of advertisements for job openings. 

OLIVIA lets out a sigh, expressing her dissapointment at the sparce variety of options. She dumps the newspaper back on the sofa before turning around and leaving the room. 

CUT TO: 

INT. OLIVIA'S BEDROOM - DAY 

OLIVIA'S bedroom can most accurately be described as a mess,the floor is cluttered with clothes and a variety of books on topics ranging from philosophy to history and science. The curtains are closed even though it is the middle of the day. 

OLIVIA works her way through the piles of clothing left on her bedroom floor blocking her path. She reaches her desk, sits down and opens her laptop which illuminates her face in the dimly lit room. 

OLIVIA slowly and methodically types 'Part time jobs near me' into her search bar, presses the 'enter' key and immediately results show up. She patiently reads through dozens of listings before her attention is grabbed as she sees something that interests her, the advertisement is for a job at a local book store. 

OLIVIA scrolls down to the bottom of the listing which reads,'CV required'.

5. 

A new browser window is opened, OLIVIA enters another search,'How do I write a CV?', even more results fill up the laptopscreen. 

OLIVIA begins writing her own CV.

After a while OLIVIA finally clicks the 'send' button on her application after completing her CV and cracks a smile of satisfaction. 

CUT TO: 

INT. SCHOOL CORRIDOR - DAY 

The corridor is crowded with people huddled around in groups blocking the path of students trying to get to their next lesson. 

OLIVIA and CHARLOTTE are walking down the corridor with their text books under arm. 

CHARLOTTE 
            So have you thought anymore 
            about Ben's party? 

OLIVIA
            No, I have been busy with 
            things. 

CHARLOTTE 
            Like what? 

OLIVIA 
            I applied for a job. 

CHARLOTTE
            So did I. Where did you
            apply? 

OLIVIA
            Oh just a job at the local 
            bookstore. 

CHARLOTTE 
            Really? That's crazy, I applied 
            for the exact same position. 

OLIVIA'S expression changes in an instant, she begins to look anxious. 

CHARLOTTE (CONT'D)
            Wouldn't it be awkward if one of 
            us got the job and the other didn't?

6.

OLIVIA 
            Yeah but we both know you're going 
            to get the job. 

CHARLOTTE 
            That isn't true, you are so much 
            smarter than me. 

OLIVIA lets out an awkward laugh. 

CUT TO: 

INT. OLIVIA'S BEDROOM - DAY 

OLIVIA passes by the piles of clothes which are now somehow even taller than they were before to reach her desk and open her laptop before she even sits down. First email in her inbox is from the book store, 'We have seen your application and CV and are looking forward to...'.

OLIVIA jumps up and fistpumps the air.

OLIVIA
             Yes! 

OLIVIA grabs her phone only to notice the text message from CHARLOTTE, 'Did you get an email from the book store?'. 

OLIVIA returns her focus to the laptop and reads the rest of the email, '...arranging a telephone interview with you.'. 

OLIVIA (CONT'D) 
             Oh no, oh no, no. 

OLIVIA plunges herself onto her bed knocking over another messy pile of clothes and picks up her phone again. She re-reads the text message from CHARLOTTE, 'Did you get an email from the book store?' and then throws the phone down next to her on the bed. 

CUT TO: 

INT. KITCHEN - DAY 

The kitchen is in pristine condition, it is almost possible to see your reflection in the shimmering marble surfaces. 

OLIVIA'S MOTHER is sitting down reading a book. 

OLIVIA enters the room. 

7. 

MOTHER 
            What's up? 

OLIVIA 
            Not much, I got a telephone 
            interview for a job. 

MOTHER 
            That's great. When is it? 

OLIVIA 
            I don't know, I don't think I 
            am going to do it.

MOTHER 
            Why not?

OLIVIA 
            I am really bad at talking over 
            the phone and plus I have no 
            experience with interviews.

MOTHER 
            It's a perfect situtaion to get
            some. 

OLIVIA 
            Yeah, you are right, it's just 
            like I said, I am way too anxious 
            to do it over the phone. 

MOTHER 
            Try going somewhere you feel 
            comfortable for it. 

OLIVIA
            Ok, thanks. 

MOTHER 
            Of course, you can do this.

CUT TO: 

EXT. OLIVIA'S GARDEN - DAY

A bench sits in the corner of the garden. All we can hear is the chirping of the birds and the tree branches rustling in the wind. 

OLIVIA walks over to the bench apprehensively, her face ridden with visible dread. She sits down on the bench and begins tapping her feet on the ground anxiously.

8. 

OLIVIA sits nervously on the bench and checks the time on her phone to see her interview is supposed to begin in only a minutes time. 

The anxiety becomes too much and OLIVIA quickly jumps up from the bench and we follow her as she walks back towards the house. She stops and hesitates deciding not to give in to her fear and turns back, returning to the bench. 

OLIVIA begins to shake and hyperventilate but takes a few seconds to look out across the garden, calming herself. 

OLIVIA'S phone starts to ring and she answers the call, lifting the phone up to her ear. 

INTERVIEWER
            Hello, is this Olivia? 

OLIVIA
            Yes it is. 

CUT TO: 

INT. CLASSROOM - DAY

OLIVIA enters the class and takes a seat next to CHARLOTTE. 

OLIVIA 
            Hey, Charlotte, how did your 
            interview go? 

CHARLOTTE 
            It went really well thank you, 
            what about yours? 

OLIVIA
            It didn't go so well but I am 
            glad I did it.

A beat. 

OLIVIA (CONT'D) 
            I hope you get the job, you 
            would be great for it. 

CHARLOTTE 
            Thanks, so would you though. 
            Hopefully we find out soon. 

CUT TO: 

9. 

INT. OLIVIA'S BEDROOM - DAY 

OLIVIA is lying on her bed reading a book when she hears a notification sound coming from her laptop. 

OLIVIA jumps off the bed and rushes across the now clear bedroom floor excitedly to get to her laptop.

OLIVIA
            It's not going to be it, it 
            won't be. 
                (under her breath) 

OLIVIA opens the laptop but she finds it hard to make out the message as the light beams through her open window. She can just about make out the text 'congratulations'. 

CUT TO: 

INT. LIVING ROOM - DAY

OLIVIA comes rushing into the room where her MOTHER and FATHER are sitting watching the television. 

OLIVIA
            I got it! 

FATHER 
            Got what? 

OLIVIA
            I got a job.

FATHER 
            That's really good news, 
            well done. 

MOTHER
            I knew you would do it.

FATHER 
            No you didn't. 

CUT TO:

EXT. COLLEGE - DAY 

OLIVIA spots CHARLOTTE and walks over to greet her. 

CHARLOTTE 
            Hey, did you find out if 
            you got the job?

10.

OLIVIA 
            Yeah I did.

CHARLOTTE 
            That's great, I am really 
            happy for you. 

OLIVIA 
            Thanks.

A beat.

OLIVIA (CONT'D) 
            So are you going to Ben's 
            party? 

CHARLOTTE 
            Yeah, what about you? 

OLIVIA 
            Of course. 

CHARLOTTE smiles. 

FADE OUT.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'The Arrival' analysis

'The Ellington Kid' analysis

Creative Ideas