Creative Ideas
Creative Ideas
One of the possible ways of coming up with an idea for my screenplay and digital storyboard include basing it on a novel or short story. This would require adapting older novels and short stories which have come into the public domain. The issue with these older stories is that they would be harder to adapt as they are products of their time and although it would be possible to put a modern spin on these stories and make for an interesting adaption it still seems more restrictive and less practical than coming up with a new idea and story. If I was to pursue this approach to creating my screenplay then I think I would of possibly adapted some older sci-fi stories that have been very influential to the genre such as the works of H.P. Lovecraft or H.G. Wells and attempted to update them and combine them with themes that are important in the 21st century.
Another possibility would be to adapt a news story such as Jorn Threlfall did with 'Over', one of the set films. The advantage of adapting or basing a screenplay off a news story is that it gives the story a socially conscious message that can speak to people. This is a really interesting idea but there were no news stories that I thought could be pragmatically adapted into a compelling narrative.
Adapting a historical event is a possibility and as I will only need to create a digital storyboard for one key scene as opposed to five minutes of film it could be more practical on a very low budget. Writing a narrative structured around a historical event in only ten pages would be very ambitous and also restrictive.
Developing a screenplay and digital storyboard from a set text is an interesting idea but there are many different ideas from the different short films that I would like to incorporate into my own screenplay, I wouldn't just be inspired by one film.
The option I decided on was to base my screenplay on an original idea, giving me the most freedom narratively and allowing me to take inspiration from a variety of different short films. The genre I decided on for my screenplay and digital storyboard is the Coming-of-Age genre because it is the genre to which some of my favourite films such as 'Boyhood' and 'Ferris Bueller's Day Off' belong. The Coming-of-Age genre is one which I think I will be able to write much better as the genre focuses on characters of ages similiar to my own going through experiences I can relate to so I can 'Write what I know'. The genre is not a restrictive one and doesn't require a large budget or overly sophisticated and complex writing.
Comments
Post a Comment